Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Two--Back for More!

So, here it is, 4 years after my first World Championships, and I'm heading back, this time to the Sunshine Coast of Australia.

A lot has happened in the past 4 years.

I went to the 2011 Worlds, in North Carolina, where I maintained my #7 individual world ranking in the Grand Master's division, but wasn't on any teams, work responsibilities having precluded any hope of attending any team trials. However, I got to be one of the announcers, which was pretty cool.

I've also moved, to Kentucky, for a new job in biotech after years in academia. If I thought access to surf was bad in Delaware, it is pretty much a non-starter in Kentucky. On the plus side, Kentucky has access to great whitewater and a fantastic paddling community, and I've done more boating here than I have for years.

I have a new boat, a Reaction, built by Murky Waters. It mostly lives in California, where it stays with my parents or one of my siblings, and I visit it once or twice a year.

But as they say, plus c'est las même chose.

Once again, I'm filling out the US team, as the timing of this year's competition makes it hard for people  who work in the paddling and outfitting industry to attend.  I'll be reuniting with Jim Grossman, Devon Barker and Rachael Krugman for this year's effort.  I can't wait to see them (though I was at Rachael's wedding a couple of months ago.

I'm excited as hell.

And as alway, She Who Is Small But Mighty is her constant, supportive self, allowing me to abandon her for a couple of weeks with cheer and encouragement and love.

Departure is tomorrow!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment